Monthly Archives: October 2008

Both App Engine and EC2 edge closer to the goal

In the two days since I posted that I was waiting to see if App Engine or an alternative got to the goal first both App Engine and EC2 have edged forward. Yesterday Amazon announced a private beta for their … Continue reading

Posted in Web development | Tagged , , , , , , | Leave a comment

Waiting to see if App Engine or an alternative gets there first

After tracking down numerous alternatives to Google App Engine after hitting a wall on Project Fangorn, I looked at the most promising alternatives in more depth. Here is what I found. GigaSpaces Using GigaSpaces XAP would mean–at a minimum–creating Python … Continue reading

Posted in Coding, Web development | Tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , | 3 Comments

Alternatives to Google App Engine

As I hit a wall in my development of Project Fangorn on Google’s App Engine platform I started looking around for alternative platforms. While there are numerous providers that claim to provide a cloud very few of them actually have … Continue reading

Posted in Web development | Tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , , | 17 Comments

Google App Engine not up to the task

Update 10/24/2008: It appears that the mcycle consumption of datastore operations are not actually counted against the soft cap and that GAE’s admin console is incorrectly including the consumption of datastore operations when issuing warnings about excessive mcycle consumption. Update … Continue reading

Posted in Game Development, Web development | Tagged , , , , | 2 Comments

Project Fangorn playable prototypical preview deployed

I just played through all my initial turns for the playable prototypical preview of turn based web strategy game codenamed Project Fangorn that I deployed to Google App Engine earlier today.  At this point you are confined to your majorverse … Continue reading

Posted in Game Development, Web development | Tagged , , , , | 1 Comment

Project Fangorn progress V

At this point, I’ve got all of the game features implemented that I wanted in place before publishing a prototypical preview of Project Fangorn onto Google App Engine.  Fours things remain before publishing the preview: Implement robust cross-entity cross-request update … Continue reading

Posted in Game Development, Web development | Tagged , , , , | 1 Comment

Google App Engine scalability that doesn’t just work

Now that I’ve got enough of Project Fangorn’s features implemented for it to be playable, I spent some time reflecting on the experience of utilizing Google App Engine’s datastore and it strikes me that there are things about it that … Continue reading

Posted in Web development | Tagged , , , , , | Leave a comment