Category Archives: Game Development

Google App Engine not up to the task

Update 10/24/2008: It appears that the mcycle consumption of datastore operations are not actually counted against the soft cap and that GAE’s admin console is incorrectly including the consumption of datastore operations when issuing warnings about excessive mcycle consumption. Update … Continue reading

Posted in Game Development, Web development | Tagged , , , , | 2 Comments

Project Fangorn playable prototypical preview deployed

I just played through all my initial turns for the playable prototypical preview of turn based web strategy game codenamed Project Fangorn that I deployed to Google App Engine earlier today.  At this point you are confined to your majorverse … Continue reading

Posted in Game Development, Web development | Tagged , , , , | 1 Comment

Project Fangorn progress V

At this point, I’ve got all of the game features implemented that I wanted in place before publishing a prototypical preview of Project Fangorn onto Google App Engine.  Fours things remain before publishing the preview: Implement robust cross-entity cross-request update … Continue reading

Posted in Game Development, Web development | Tagged , , , , | 1 Comment

Project Fangorn progress IV

Game Design In thinking about the exploits feature (as previously mentioned) I came to the conclusion that having players achieve singular global exploits by being the first to do something would give to much advantage to those who start a … Continue reading

Posted in Game Development | Tagged , | Leave a comment

Light Web Strategy Game now codenamed: Fangorn

I didn’t really like putting the abbreviation for light web strategy game in the code to refer to this game (haven’t thought of a real name yet), so I decided to give it a codename. Been had been watching the … Continue reading

Posted in Game Development | Tagged | Leave a comment

Light Web Strategy Game Progress II

After updating the data model to work around GAE’s limitations, the data model, interfaces, and UI mock ups are now complete enough that it is time to being coding. None of the three are 100% complete and what is there … Continue reading

Posted in Game Development | Tagged | Leave a comment

Light Web Strategy Game data model smacks into GAE limitations

As I mentioned in my last post, I had previously known that GAE could only operate on entities from one group in a transaction and had designed my data model to account for this, but recently came across information that … Continue reading

Posted in Coding, Game Development, Web development | Tagged , , , , | 3 Comments

Light Web Strategy Game Progress

Code and UI Design Over the last several days I have been mocking up the layout of various web pages and designing the interfaces that the controller will utilize (Pylons makes use of the Model-View-Controller software design pattern) get game … Continue reading

Posted in Game Development, Web development | Tagged , , | 1 Comment

Light Web Strategy Game Design Complete

I pretty much finished up the design for my light web strategy game the evening before last. Yesterday I hammered out the data model and found a few small things missing from the game design, which were easily rectified. I … Continue reading

Posted in Game Development | Tagged | 2 Comments

Light Web Strategy Game Design Progress

I had an idea last night for PvP conflict game mechanics that doesn’t use traditional stats based combat between units. Instead units are unkillable, but they are downgradable (by a upgraded specialty unit) and stealable (through two stage process by … Continue reading

Posted in Game Development | Tagged , | Leave a comment