Tag Archives: GAE

Google App Engine not up to the task

Update 10/24/2008: It appears that the mcycle consumption of datastore operations are not actually counted against the soft cap and that GAE’s admin console is incorrectly including the consumption of datastore operations when issuing warnings about excessive mcycle consumption. Update … Continue reading

Posted in Game Development, Web development | Tagged , , , , | 2 Comments

Project Fangorn playable prototypical preview deployed

I just played through all my initial turns for the playable prototypical preview of turn based web strategy game codenamed Project Fangorn that I deployed to Google App Engine earlier today.  At this point you are confined to your majorverse … Continue reading

Posted in Game Development, Web development | Tagged , , , , | 1 Comment

Project Fangorn progress V

At this point, I’ve got all of the game features implemented that I wanted in place before publishing a prototypical preview of Project Fangorn onto Google App Engine.  Fours things remain before publishing the preview: Implement robust cross-entity cross-request update … Continue reading

Posted in Game Development, Web development | Tagged , , , , | 1 Comment

Google App Engine scalability that doesn’t just work

Now that I’ve got enough of Project Fangorn’s features implemented for it to be playable, I spent some time reflecting on the experience of utilizing Google App Engine’s datastore and it strikes me that there are things about it that … Continue reading

Posted in Web development | Tagged , , , , , | Leave a comment

Does demand exist for third party extension to GAE’s Datastore API?

On this post I had stated I’d like third party extension to Google App Engine’s Datastore API that provided: Transactions spanning entity groups Checkpoints and journaling to allow rollback to a good state Schema version management and that I locate … Continue reading

Posted in Web development | Tagged , , , | Leave a comment

Light Web Strategy Game data model smacks into GAE limitations

As I mentioned in my last post, I had previously known that GAE could only operate on entities from one group in a transaction and had designed my data model to account for this, but recently came across information that … Continue reading

Posted in Coding, Game Development, Web development | Tagged , , , , | 3 Comments

GAE docs hint at limits but provide no clue as to magnitude

This page of the GAE docs states: To prevent the update of an entity from taking too long, the datastore limits the number of index entries that a single entity can have. The limit is large, and most applications will … Continue reading

Posted in Web development | Tagged , , , | 1 Comment