Tag Archives: Project Fangorn

Project Fangorn postmortem

Now that Project Fangorn is wrapped up and on ice, its time for the postmortem. What went wrong: Didn’t feel like I was productive enough. Went off on a tangent developing a prototype space based architectural abstraction over Google AppEngine’s … Continue reading

Advertisement

Posted in Coding, Game Development, Web development | Tagged | Leave a comment

Project Fangorn goes into the freezer

I’m skipping the back burner, and putting Project Fangorn on ice. I just pushed up the latest version to webgamesbyjosh.appspot.com. In that version the first of the general standing orders was implemented and I did a little of the work … Continue reading

Posted in Game Development, Web development | Tagged , | Leave a comment

Project Fangorn Progress VI

I just deployed a new version of Project Fangorn.  This version uses the space-based architecture abstraction I created for GAE.  The only difference users will see is that the best case user command processing scenarios about about twice as fast.  … Continue reading

Posted in Game Development, Web development | Tagged | Leave a comment

Space-Based Architecture for AppEngine

Several posts ago I mentioned that I was waiting to see which cloud provider would be up to hosting Project Fangorn first.  In my last two posts (one, two) I talked about some of the issues with testing web apps … Continue reading

Posted in Coding, Web development | Tagged , , , , , , , | 1 Comment

Google App Engine not up to the task

Update 10/24/2008: It appears that the mcycle consumption of datastore operations are not actually counted against the soft cap and that GAE’s admin console is incorrectly including the consumption of datastore operations when issuing warnings about excessive mcycle consumption. Update … Continue reading

Posted in Game Development, Web development | Tagged , , , , | 2 Comments

Project Fangorn playable prototypical preview deployed

I just played through all my initial turns for the playable prototypical preview of turn based web strategy game codenamed Project Fangorn that I deployed to Google App Engine earlier today.  At this point you are confined to your majorverse … Continue reading

Posted in Game Development, Web development | Tagged , , , , | 1 Comment

Project Fangorn progress V

At this point, I’ve got all of the game features implemented that I wanted in place before publishing a prototypical preview of Project Fangorn onto Google App Engine.  Fours things remain before publishing the preview: Implement robust cross-entity cross-request update … Continue reading

Posted in Game Development, Web development | Tagged , , , , | 1 Comment

Google App Engine scalability that doesn’t just work

Now that I’ve got enough of Project Fangorn’s features implemented for it to be playable, I spent some time reflecting on the experience of utilizing Google App Engine’s datastore and it strikes me that there are things about it that … Continue reading

Posted in Web development | Tagged , , , , , | Leave a comment

Project Fangorn progress IV

Game Design In thinking about the exploits feature (as previously mentioned) I came to the conclusion that having players achieve singular global exploits by being the first to do something would give to much advantage to those who start a … Continue reading

Posted in Game Development | Tagged , | Leave a comment

Light Web Strategy Game now codenamed: Fangorn

I didn’t really like putting the abbreviation for light web strategy game in the code to refer to this game (haven’t thought of a real name yet), so I decided to give it a codename. Been had been watching the … Continue reading

Posted in Game Development | Tagged | Leave a comment